Well this area was a bit blurred for me during the time I was trying to access remotely to my work environment..
So I will try to share my experiences as simple as it can be.
I. Client Environment
OS X El Capitan
II. Necessary Applications
- FortiClient for VPN
- Any Remote Connection utility (i.e. Microsoft Remote Desktop :) )
a. FortiClient Set-up
- Network Type should be selected as SSL VPN
- You can define any name for the field Connection Name
- You can type any definition to the Description field
- RemoteGateway is probably an information you should ask your company ‘s IT department.
- ClientCertificate should be populated automatically
- Username should be provided by IT
b. Microsoft Remote Desktop Set-up
- Connection Name can be any name.
- PC Name is the internal IP address of remotecomputer.
- Select your Gateway as End Point Security.
- User Name is domain user. Should be entered as given format in hint.
- Password is user ‘s domain password. (a.k.a. Windows Login password)
- Rest of the fileds may remain the same
IV. Exceptions and Notes:
* You do need administrative rights on Clientcomputer in order to install these applications and configure them.